If you know me personally, then you know that I don't wear a lot of makeup. I've never bothered to learn how to create the perfect smokey eye or any other look with eye shadow. My focus is always clear skin, maybe a little blush, keep it ultra simple on the eyes, and if I'm feeling sassy, I pull out the red lipstick (every girl should find her perfect shade and flaunt it).
However, face masks have put a damper on those that like simple looks and is downright torturous for makeup junkies who never met a makeup product they didn't like. One thing is clear: the eyes have it (pun intended). Whether you like simple looks or more elaborate ones, your focus has to be on the eyes.
Here's my humble guidance for simple eye-makeup with maximum impact. Keep in mind that my makeup skills are minimal. If you want guidance from someone far more experienced and knowledgeable than I, skip ahead to the video below.
- If you use makeup primer, apply it to your lids and around the whole eye area up to the brow line.
- Apply a light layer of foundation.
- Use a peachy-toned concealer or eye brightener to conceal dark circles or blemishes, and to brighten the area around the eyes in general (you could also use this product to highlight under your eyebrows).
- Make sure that everything is well blended and disappears into the rest of the skin.
- Apply setting powder for longer wear (I rarely do this).
- Apply an eye brightening pencil only on the inner corner of each eye.
- Line top and bottom lids with the eyeliner of your choice. It doesn't have to be black; use any color you think complements your eyes.
- Curl your eyelashes (if you need to).
- Apply two coats of mascara - For the first coat, use a mascara designed to lengthen lashes. Use a mascara designed to thicken lashes for the second coat.
- TAME THOSE BROWS!!!! I think eyebrows are the most important feature because they act as a frame for the rest of your face. Assuming you already have arched brows, fill in the portions of the brows that are sparse or to create the eyebrow shape and look you want.
- VOILA!!! You're done. (Here's a secret. Many women who have to wear masks at all times while in the workplace, don't bother applying makeup to the lower half of their faces. Doing so can increase the likelihood of acne because of bacteria buildup; and unless someone's got an event after work, no one is going to see it).